Engaging in any physical activity has excellent benefits for our health. Running is one workout you can do where you don’t have to spend a lot of money. You only need a good pair of running shoes and appropriate clothing, like a custom running shirt and shorts and you’re good to go. Stock your playlist with songs that will get your blood going. It is also easy to get started. You only need determination and discipline to include running in your daily routine. In case you are still in doubt about what running can do for you, here are some of the benefits you can get from it.
- Better mental health. Running releases happy hormones. You rarely see a runner who does not have a smile on their face. Engaging in physical activity does not only benefit the body but the mind as well. If you are having problems with your mental health, try running, and you will soon reap the benefits.
- Prevents high blood pressure. The arteries contract and expand when you run. It keeps your arteries healthy as well, which is essential in maintaining a normal blood pressure range. If you are suffering from high blood pressure, running may be the answer to your woes.
- Strengthens the lungs. The lungs are one of the organs that benefit most from running. Your lungs work to supply you with the air that you need when you run.
- Strengthens the immune system. Running regularly can increase your tolerance to germs, making it harder for you to contract illnesses. If you get sick easily, try running, and you will see how it can make your immune system stronger.
- Good for weight loss. Although running does not make you lose weight as fast as other workouts do, it can still shed unwanted pounds off your body if you do it regularly, at least a few times a week. Running burns a lot of calories, so it should be enough to encourage you to start running. It is a whole-body workout.
- Increases bone density. Running creates stress on your bones. When this happens, minerals get sent to them to make them stronger. But it is important to note that even if running strengthens your bones, you are not immune from related injuries. You have to stretch before you run to prepare your bones and muscles for the task ahead.
- Increases stability. Your balance will significantly improve with running. As you progress, you will find that your muscles and joints are stronger, thus giving your body more stability and balance.
- Increases self-confidence. You get to boost or develop your self-esteem through running. You will soon realise that you look and feel better even if you are sweaty and wearing tight clothing.
- Eliminates stress. Running is a great stress-reliever. You can run from your problems, apparently.
With these benefits, you no longer have an excuse not to start running. In time you will see the results piling up, and your health will be much better than before.